Brief History on the Mill
Built in 1838 by Matthew Murray, Castleton mills was originally a steam-powered fl ax-spinning mill. Further changes to the building happened between 1850 and 1884, by JM Fawcett of Leeds. The 4 storey, 18 bay mill is red brick in English garden wall bond with 3:1; slate roof. A chimney was incorporated into the later 2-storey extension at the north west end.